Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A tag--7 facts about me

To aid Kirsty's self confidence, I'm participating in my first and perhaps only blog tag. The rules, which I will break, are:

1) Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog
2) Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog, some random, some weird
3) Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs
4) Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog

My response:

1) Done!

2) Facts. About me. Hmmn. 

- I was conceived in Irvine, California, but born in Johannesburg, South Africa. I went back to Irvine for the first time about a year ago, just for the day.

- My sister used to call me Panthernetic, Pantherfart, many other names with "fart" in them, and Woes Kumale (long story... it had to do with her thinking I was always in a bad mood). Also Foo-foo or Foof, which is what she still calls me.

- A word I remember learning about as a kid: "lethargic." I learned it because my horse riding teacher, Nathalie, referred to my horse, Wally, as "lethargic." I didn't know what it meant, so I went home and looked up in a dictionary. My sister told on me the next time we went to the stables (in that she told Nathalie that I had to look that word up). Nathalie was right--Wally was lethargic. Once, an American came to visit us (in South Africa, where I was living) and since she was a horse rider, I let her ride Wally. She made him look so good! He wasn't acting lethargic at all. Even though I rode horses for years after that, I never did learn to make a lazy horse move more energetically. 

- I don't ride horses any more. Riding horses takes a lot of time and a lot of money. But I don't think a day goes by when I don't imagine myself riding a horse (and riding the horse much better than I do in real life). When I'm in a car, I imagine I'm galloping down the road on a very big horse and jumping the road signs. When I'm in a "slow" seminar at work, I sometimes imagine an emergency when someone comes running into the room with a saddled horse and yells "who knows how to ride?" and they need me to go galloping off on the horse to help someone in trouble. Which I do, and then everyone I work with is all impressed, since they don't know I know how to ride horses. I kid you not--I really do have that daydream. Laugh all you want. I think it's funny too. I don't always imagine the horse I'm riding jumping or galloping, by the way... I imagine doing dressage (horse "ballet"... a discipline that requires horse and rider to be highly trained and that demonstrates control and communication between horse and rider) at times too. 

- I've been a vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for 20 years.  The reasons I don't think I will ever be a vegan (though in theory I'd like to be one): butter, sour cream and marscapone. And grilled cheese sandwiches. I do try to limit my dairy (other than items on the above list) and egg usage and one day maybe I'll write about how I manage to bake some things without eggs.

- I'm listening to Silversun Pickups while I write this. My colleague and friend Carl is letting me give the album a whirl, since he plays them at work sometimes and I always say "who's this again?" I'm enjoying it. I wasn't sure at first.

- My favorite musicians of all time are Neil Finn (as singer of Crowded House, or all on his own) and A-ha. For all of you (meaning the 2-3 people who read my blog) who remember A-ha only as the singers of the 1980's hit "Take on me," I'll have you know they still put out CD's and I like their new music as much as I like their old music. 

That was a lot less painful than I thought! I can even think of other things I could've written about.

3) and 4). I'm breaking these rules. There are only three people who I know read my blog: my sister, my mother and Kirsty. But hey, if there is someone else out there reading this, feel free to nominate yourself for this tag. 

6 comments:

Kirsty said...

Your horse heroine in an emergency made me LOL. I so hope it happens for you one day. Very interesting. I also found Wally the lethargic horse very hilarious for some reason. I would like to be a vegetarian, just can't seem to make the commitment so I admire you.

And ouch, sorry about your fingers below, they made me cringe!Owowowow Hope your hands are having an easier time. It seems as though housework may be hazardous to your health.

Anonymous said...

Actually, there are at least four people who read your blog.

Jen

Samantha said...

Whoo hoo! Thanks Jen :-)

Anonymous said...

I always spelled it in my head as uVusi Khumalo though :)

The horse heroine thing is funny!!

Samantha said...

I just deleted my own lovely comment in response to you Genevieve! Must remember to hit "publish your comment" BEFORE I go off and do other things!

It said something like: I thought long and hard how to spell that name. I thought "woes" was a real Afrikaans word to indicate anger/grumpiness, but since I can't find it in the online Afrikaans-to-English dictionaries, I'm realizing that I just thought that because you used it (or "woesie") when I was grumpy. I do remember you putting the "u" in front of it. And you spelt Khumalo more like the way you said it than I did.

Samantha said...

PS. I just found out that "woes" or "woesie" means wuss (aka wimp)! But I don't think that's what Genevieve meant when she called me that.