Monday, October 20, 2008

Clara Mara


I cannot at this time continue writing about my South African trip. My beloved cat Clara was diagnosed with cancer (carcinomatosis) late on Friday afternoon after a week of vet visits and tests, and I had her euthanized on Saturday afternoon. As I loaded her up into her carrier to take her to the vet on Saturday, I couldn't believe what I was about to do with my "little girl." And yet I knew I had to, so that she wouldn't suffer any more.

When I found out on Wednesday evening that she was likely terminally ill (we didn't think it was cancer at that point, as I will elaborate on at some point), I started making a list of all the things I love about Clara, with input from Jesse and my mom. I had hoped to post the list before she died--I thought at that point that she had a few weeks to live--but her end came even sooner than I thought possible and now I am going to have to post the list in the past tense.

I also want to write about what little I know of her condition--it was very frustrating to find almost nothing about it on the Internet, and the most "useful" information Jesse found for us was actually on someone's blog (their cat had the same cancer). So I want to add my observations to the blog world in case it helps someone else.

I will eventually get back to writing about our trip, which seems like it was an awfully long time ago now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a touching post, Foof.

Kirsty said...

Awwwww Sam I'm so sorry. :( Hugs to you. She was beautiful.